Are you an architect or interior designer looking for a quality furniture board that's both economical and stylish? Our melamine board products are a fantastic way of adding a beautiful finish to any retail interior, commercial space, office, kitchen or bathroom suites.
Thanks to their wonderful versatility and robust strength they can help enhance any design, no matter the style.
We have a wide range of melamine board that comes in an array of textures, colours and styles.
LamiGloss & LamiMatt Bespoke view
SM'art by Geaves In Stock view
SM'art Bespoke view
LamiMatt In Stock view
This furniture board can help enhance any design, no matter the style, and work as a great alternative to solid wood surfaces. When it comes to deciding what sheet materials to use for your interiors, melamine faced chipboard (MFC) or an MDF board, could be great options.
We have a wide range of melamine board that comes in different textures, colours, and styles. They're also available to order according to your style requirements and can be cut to measure to suit your needs. So whether you need a decorative stone finish or something that emulates solid wood without the hefty price tag, there is something to suit every commercial decor need.
All you need to do is work out your measurements, choose the style and finish from our range of building materials and watch your office or retail interiors come to life.
Can't quite decide which building material would work best? Geaves are also able to provide FREE samples of all of our melamine sheet materials, so get in touch with us today to arrange yours! We're also able to advise on any decor or interior design related requires that you might have, so don't hesitate to speak to our friendly team - we'd love to help you achieve your office design goals.
Order Your FREE Sample Today!
All you have to do to get a free sample of any of our surfaces is browse our collection, click on 'add to cart' on a product page and proceed to the checkout, where you can fill in your delivery details. We despatch all samples with a 24-hour delivery service. Bespoke surfaces will around 2-3 weeks to arrive. It's really that simple!
What is a Melamine Board?
Below you can find a comprehensive guide that runs through everything you need to know about melamine, from how it is made, where it is used, tips on maintaining it and why you should choose Geaves commercial surface solutions for your next project.
Melamine Boards are versatile, decorative surfaces that are not only highly durable but also highly hygienic and stylish. They are made by using high pressure heat, which bonds impregnated paper to particleboard or MDF board. This then provides a highly wearable product surface finish. On the other hand, melamine-faced chipboard is made by combining wood chips, which then creates a hard resin.
Properties of a Melamine Board
Melamine Board, also known as melamine faced panels or melamine faced chipboards, have a long list of impressive qualities, all of which help to make it so popular when creating a new design or style:
- Stylish – Melamine Board is the perfect combination of modern style and reliable practicality. Elegant and stylish, they are able to provide a room with anything from urban style to retro chic. They can also mimic the look of natural wood grain, so you can mimic the wood effect that can be found in solid wood, at a fraction of the cost.
- Versatile – Due to its different colours, textures and styles, it can be used in any type of room. Whether it’s a commercial building or a home renovation, there is something for everyone.
- Hygienic – If hygiene plays an important part in your workspace, then using melamine for your sheet materials is a fantastic option, as it is easy to wipe away and clean. You won't have to worry about stains ruining your white melamine surfaces!
- Durable – Perfect for high-density places like shops, restaurants or offices, melamine sheet materials are strong and long-wearing. Its long-wearing properties also include scratch and shatter resistance, and it even fares well against corrosion.
- Budget-friendly - You can achieve a professional-grade finish for your surfaces, all at an affordable price.
Melamine vs. Plywood - Key Differences
Both types of surface material have different uses and are both effective & durable in their own rights. Below is a quick primer on each of their properties so you can weigh up your options.
- Melamine boards are created by layering pressed wood and covering it with plastic coating. On the other hand, plywood is simply made up of layered wood sheets.
- You might not always need to paint melamine, however, plywood requires staining and painting to get it to the perfect finish, so it requires more labour.
- Plywood contains natural wood grain, whereas melamine surfaces can be made to mimic this effect.
- Compared to plywood, melamine has a higher density, making it more difficult to cut, but costs less. Plywood has a lower density, making it less prone to chipping and splitting, easier to cut, however, it tends to costs more.
- If you want to achieve a solid, uniform colour, melamine is your best bet, making it great for minimalist interiors or anywhere you need a consistent colour roll out. Plywood is great if you're keen on letting those authentic wood grains and knots come through.
Are Melamine Sheets Safe To Use?
The plastic that covers our melamine sheets is formed when combined with formaldehyde. However, Geaves do not add any formaldehyde to the glue used; we use 3% Formaldehyde-free resin instead of 25% glue which is found in standard particleboards.
How is it Used?
In the same way that high pressure laminate is used, melamine boards are used creatively in both residential and commercial design. Their unique and stylish properties can suit any type of building or room. Although we do not supply laminate flooring, melamine components are also used in their design and overlay - its properties allow it to imitate tiles or natural wood seamlessly.
Domestically, melamine as a material is pretty adaptable - they've been used in wall tiles, garden furniture, shelves for garden buildings, caravans, canal boats, plates and crockery, and even toilet seats! Its heat resistant properties also allow it to be an effective material for insulation, such as underfloor heating, too.
Geaves supply the melamine board surface to the commercial and retail and food & drink sectors.
For Office Spaces
- Desks surfaces
- Communal spaces e.g. breakout sections
- Toilet cubicles
- Their application in the commercial sector i.e. where we supply, stretches from being used in office surfaces, communal spaces, toilet cubicles and corridors, making them the best choice if you're looking for a surface that holds up well in high-wearing areas.
Retail, Restaurants & Bars
Whether you are designing a new retail space, restaurant or bar and need something with style and sophistication or retro charm, we will have something for you. It can be used to brighten up a room by adding a splash of bold colour, or by creating a rustic, cosy ambience through its textured finishes. The possibilities are endless.
A Finish For Every Space
With over 30 years' experience in all things surfaces, we'd be happy to advise you on anything from interior design to the technical details of our melamine products. Although they are suitable for a range of spaces, below you can find a few style suggestions based on the kind of interiors you may be looking to revamp:
- Minimalism - a highly adaptable choice for a range of commercial interiors, solid colours such as white melamine would work well if you're looking to achieve a minimalist design. Its hard-wearing properties also make it ideal for hospitals, schools, and other high impact areas.
- Natural effect - if you want to keep the beauty of the wood grain, then our ranges have a whole host of natural finish boards, from chestnut, oak, beechwood, and cedar. These would work well on office desk surfaces, for a smart yet natural effect.
- Luxury - Our styles also come in premium varieties whilst being incredibly affordable and super efficient. You can add a touch of luxe to your retail spaces with our marble styles and other natural stone finishes, without the premium price tag.
Tips on Maintaining Your Surface
How Do You Paint Melamine Sheet Surfaces?
The long-lasting and long-wearing properties of melamine surfaces make it easy to refresh and bring back to life. Here are some of our tips on how you can paint your surface, from what decorating tools to use, to what kind of specialist paint you'll need:
- Before you start, make sure the area is well-ventilated - open up a window or two!
- Start off by lightly sanding the surface with a fine-grit sandpaper. Be careful not to over-do it, because this may damage the board.
- Clean the surface to remove any grease, grime, and dust that may interfere with the painting process - spray some sugar soap with a washcloth until the surface is clean.
- Apply a thin layer of specialist paint primer made for melamine surfaces using a brush or paint roller.
- Specialist paint isn't required for the next step - once the primer has dried, using an all-purpose, high-quality latex paint will do the trick.
- After the paint has dried, apply a couple of more coats, ensuring that you're allowing them to dry in between re-application.
- Let it cure - avoid handling or putting objects onto the melamine surface just yet - follow the label recommendations and let the paint cure. This may take up to a week, depending on the kind of paint you've used.
Tips For Cutting Melamine
Melamine, laminates, and veneers are all particularly prone to chipping or splintering, and this happens to melamine due to it being plastic. But, there are ways that you can stop this from happening:
- Mark out your cuts - use a pencil to mark out where you want to cut - keep the line going down both sides of the board so it lines up with the blade.
- Place painters tape over the cut line - this lowers the vibration that passes through the board.
- Use the correct hand tool to score the cut lines.
- Before cutting, place your board on a router table or a backing of the same size - another similar sized particle board is fine to use. Make sure it is clamped down and secured in place!
- Use power tool accessories, such as a Festool to saw the board to your desired size.
Cleaning Your Surfaces
Since melamine surfaces have been sealed, cleaning them is usually very straightforward. Simply take a clean washcloth or sponge, soak it in warm water, wipe down the surface, and then finally, run over the surface again with a dry cloth.
Avoid using harsh cleaning tools such as steel wool, or even pressure washers as this could damage your desks, shelves or other surfaces.
More stubborn stains may be removed with a mild cleansing agent. Acidic detergents may also damage the surface, so its best practice to avoid using them.
Melamine Surfaces In Action:
Below are just a few ways that melamine is used as a surface solution commercially:
- Office and retail interiors - from shelves to cabinets, and desk surfaces.
- Wall tiles
- Storage units for shelves, kitchen appliances, etc.
- Decorative applications, such as panels.
- Furniture components, such as veneers.
- Moveable walls - displays, stands, pop-up shops, and kiosks.
- Substitute for wood veneer - you can still achieve the natural wood effect with melamine
- And many, many more
Who Do We Supply To?
Geaves supply surfaces to a range of commercial and retail projects. So if you're looking to revamp your office, retail space or moveable walls, speak to us, and let’s turn your next re-fit into a space you’ll be proud of.
Do Geaves Have Any Minimum Order Requirements?
We don't have standard measurements, unlike many DIY merchants. Due to our commercial and retail focus, our boards and building materials can be created bespoke for whatever project you have in mind.
Why Choose Us?
- Cut to order - We don't do standard sizes here - whatever your measurement specifications are, Geaves works with you to match your requirements, not the other way round - we'll cut to size for your projects.
- Experts in commercial surfacing - we have over 30 years of experience in surface innovation and expertise, and strive to be at the cutting-edge for our customers.
- We truly believe in the quality of our melamine surface and MFC products, so we're offering FREE samples so you can see just how effective they are for your commercial and retail design.
- We work with you - we aren't just a supplier of melamine boards - we're all about building lasting relationships with our customers and treat your projects as we'd treat our own.